Prof. Christopher Welch
Astronautics and Space Engineering
BSc (Hons) Physics, Cardiff University
MSc Experimental Space Physics, University of Leicester
PhD Spacecraft Engineering, Cranfield University
Principal Lecturer in Astronautics, School of Aerospace Engineering, Kingston University, London (1993-2011)
Director, Aerospace Research Centre, Faculty of Engineering, Kingston University, London (2003-06)
Assistant Dean, Faculty of Technology, Kingston University, London (1990-93)
Senior Lecturer in Space Technology, School of Engineering, Kingston University, London (1988-93)
Doctoral Research Student, School of Engineering, Cranfield University, UK (1995-98)
Research Assistant, Unit for Space Sciences, University of Kent, UK (1982-85)
Research and Teaching Interests
Space propulsion system, orbit mechanics, space exploration
- C Welch et al, Asteroid Mining – An Interdisciplinary Study, 61st International Astronautical Congress, 27 September-1 October 2010, Prague, Czech Republic.
- H DalkIe, R Pfeldszus and C Welch, Psychological Habitability of Spacecraft on Extended Exploration Missions: Design Analysis of Science-Fiction Film Set and Production Solutions, 40th International Conference on Environmental Systems, Barcelona, Spain, July 2010.
- C Welch, It is Rocket Science! Space Education and Outreach Using Stand-Up Comedy, 59thInternational Astronautical Congress, 29 September - 3 October 2008, Edinburgh, Scotland.
- E Allouis, A Ellery and C Welch, Entry descent and landing systems for small planetary missions: Parametric comparison of parachutes and inflatable systems for the proposed Vanguard Mars Mission, Acta Astronautica, 2006.
- C Mahler and C Welch, LUNARES: Preparing for Mars through Lunar Explora¬tion, 10th Annual International Symposium, International Space University, Strasbourg, France, November 30 - December 2 2005.
- C Welch and A Curley, Learning Contracts for Space Industry Staff Development, 2nd International Conference on Recent Advances in Space Technologies, Istanbul/TURKEY, Jun. 2005, Proceedings of RAST 2005.
- C Mundt C, H Griebel and C Welch, Studies of atmospheric entry of vehicles with very low ballistic coefficient13th Int. Space Planes and Hypersonic Systems and Technologies Conference, May 2005
- C Jack, R Wall, C Welch, Spacefarer Solar Kites for Solar Systems Exploration, JBIS, 58 (3), 155-166, March 2005.
- C Welch, P-L Contreras, F Stancato and F Holland, The IAF Space Education and Outreach Committee: Structure, activities, operations and future plans, 55th International Astronautical Congress, 4-8 October 2004, Vancouver, Canada.
- F Holland, C Welch, H Dalke, M Matheson and L Stott, Olfactory environment control systems for crewed spacecraft, 55th International Astronautical Congress, 4-8 October 2004, Vancouver, Canada.
- C Welch, Academic, Industry and European Space Agency Partnership, invited paper, National Aerospace Conference, Unversitii Sains Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia, September 2004
- A Kural, N Leveque, C Welch and P Wolanski, Design of an Ion Thruster Movable Grid Thrust Vectoring System, Acta Astronautica, 55, Issues 3-9, 421-432, Aug-Nov 2004.
- N Leveque, C Welch, A Ellery and A Curley, Trajectory simulations for thrust-vectored electric propulsion missions, 3rd International Electric Propulsion Conference, Toulouse, France, Mar 2003
- N Patel, A Ellery, C Welch and A Curley, Elastic loop mobility system (ELMS): Concept, innovation and performance evaluation for a Mars robotic rover, 54th International Astronautical Congress, Bremen, Germany, October 2003
- C Jack and C Welch, Solar kites: cheap self-propelled imagers for near-earth exploration, 54th International Astronautical Congress, Bremen, Germany, October 2003
- D Stone and C Welch, Increasing global awareness of space activities: World Space Week 2001, Space Policy 18 (2002) 233–238 (Invited), 2002
- A Ellery, C Welch and A.Curley, A Proposed Public-Private Partnership for Funding Robotic In-Orbit Servicers Space & Robotics 2002 Conference (ASME Proc) Mar 2002
- P Garner, L Hidalgo, F Holland, C Welch and G. Whitesides, Yuri's night - a global celebration of the 40th anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's Flight, IAF-01-P.4.01, 52nd Congress of the International Astronautical Federation, Toulouse, France, October 1-5, 2001
- C Welch, Ascending node alteration of polar orbiting spacecraft using low-thrust propulsion, Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Proc IMechE Part G, November 2001.
- A Tsinas and C Welch, Efficient Satellite Structural Design Optimised for Volume Production, SSC01-IV-5, 15th Annual AIAA/USU Small Satellites Conference, August 13-16, 2001, Logan, Utah.
- C Welch and D. Stone, Special Events for Young People - A Workshop at the IAF 'Bringing Space into Education' Symposium, IAF-00-P.3.05, 51st Congress of the I nternational Astronautical Federation, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, October 2-6, 2000.
- C Welch, P.Smith and D.I.Wade, Learning Contracts for Space Industry Staff Development, IAF-99-P.2.08, 50th Congress of the International Astronautical Federation, Amsterdam, Holland, October 4-9, 1999
- C Welch, New Space - The Design and Form of the Extraterrestrial Garden, IAA-96-IAA.8.2.05, 49th Congress of the International Astronautical Federation, Melbourne, Australia, September 28-October 2, 1998.
- C Welch and D Wade, Extraterrestrial Resource Exploitation, New Space Markets, Proceedings of International Space University Symposium, Strasbourg, France, 1997, ed. G.Haskell and M.Rycroft, Kluwer Academic Publishers, ISBN 0-7923-5027-8.
- D Wade and C Welch, Constellation Design and Development for Efficient Manufacture and Operation, New Space Markets, Proceedings of International Space University Symposium, Strasbourg, France, 1997, ed. G.Haskell and M.Rycroft, Kluwer Academic Publishers, ISBN 0-7923-5027-8.
- C Welch, Servicing Polar Platforms Using Stationary Plasma Thruster Propulsion, IAF-96-S.3.07, 47th Congress of the International Astronautical Federation, Beijing, China, October 7-11, 1996.
- C Jack and C Welch, Solar Kites - Small Solar Sails with No Moving Parts, Acta Astronautica, Vol 40/2-8, pp.137-142, October 1997, ISSN 0094-57613
- C Jack and C Welch, A Kinetic Tether System for Launching Payloads, IAF-95-V.4.06, 46th Congress of the International Astronautical Federation, Oslo, Norway, October 2-6, 1995.
Professional Society Memberships
• Chartered Scientist
• Chartered Physicist
• Fellow of the British Interplanetary Society
• Associate Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
• Member of the Institute of Engineering and Technology
• Member of the Institute of Physics
Honours and Awards
• Sir Arthur Clarke Award for Space Education 2009
• Kingston University Teacher of the Year 2010
• Kingston University Business Fellowship 2009-10
Professional Activities (Aero/Space)
• Institute of Engineering and Technology Aerospace Technical and Professional Network Executive Committee – Member (2011-)
• UK Space Innovation and Growth Strategy – Awareness Workteam Member (2009-10)
• Framework-7-Space – Expert Evaluator for Research Executive Agency (2009-)
• Cranfield University - Visiting Lecturer in Spacecraft Propulsion (2009-10)
• Journal of the British Interplanetary Society – Subject Editor (2009-)
• Institute of Engineering and Technology Satellite Systems and Applications Technical and Professional Network Executive Committee – Member (2008-10)
• National Space Centre: ‘Into Space’ Team Member, (1999-2000), ‘Human Spaceflight’ Team Member (2003-2005)
• National Audit Office Space Policy Enquiry – Expert Panel Member (2003)
• Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education: Subject Specialist Reviewer for Aerospace Engineering (2001)
• Parliamentary Trade and Industry Select Committee Inquiry into UK Space Policy: Specialist Advisor (2000)
• Higher Education Funding Council for England: Subject Specialist Assessor for Aerospace Engineering (1996-98)
• Institute of Mechanical Engineers Aerospace Industries Division – Member (2008-11)
• British Interplanetary Society: Council Member (1994-2000, 2009-)Programme Committee Member (1993-2000, 2009-)
Conferences and symposia organisation
• International Astronautical Congress: International Planning Committee Member (1996-), Session Chair (1997-), Symposium Co-ordinator (2004-), IAC Steering Group Category E Representative (2010-)
• ISU 15th Annual Symposium: The International Space Station: MaximizingThe Return From Extended Operations – Organising team member (2010-)
ISU 14th Annual Symposium: The Public Face of Space - Organising team member (2009-10)
• AIAA/Boeing/IAF Workshop on Workforce Development (Houston October 2002): Member Programme Committee (2001-02)
• Bringing Space Into Education Symposium (Strasbourg April 2000): Member Programme Committee and Workshop Chair (1999-2000)
• UNISPACE 3 (Vienna 1999): Rapporteur for Forum on Space Activity in the 21st Century
• Prospective 2100: Space Group Member (1998-99)
Education, outreach and charities
• YuriGagarin50 – Chair (2009-)
• National Museum of Childhood - Scientist in Residence (2006-07)
• Space Education Trust: Trustee and Chair (2003-)
• The Arts Catalyst: Trustee and Board Member (2002-)
• International Space University: Board of Trustees (2001-04), Affiliate Network Chair (2001-04) Vice Chair (1999-2001), Academic Council (2001-04), Summer Session Program Faculty (2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2011), Faculty member (2006-)
• Yuri’s Night – London event organiser (2001- 03)
• Spacelink Learning Foundation: Trustee and Board Member (2001-)
• World Space Week Association: Board Member (2000-) and Executive Committee Member (2001-)
• Space School UK: Executive Committee (1999-2003)
• International Astronautical Federation Space Education and Outreach Committee: Member (1997-), Chair (2003-2006), Vice Chair (2009-)`
• International Astronautical Federation Committee for the Cultural Utilisation of Space : Member (2008-)
• International Academy of Astronautics Subcommittee on Art and Literature, Member (1996-2000)
• Space Education Council: Chair (1995-2006)
• United Kingdom Students for the Exploration and Development of Space, Chair (1993-95)